Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Review ---> I Kissed A Zombie And I Liked It by Adam Selzer

I Kissed A Zombie and I Liked It

By:  Adam Selzer
Published By: Delacorte Books
Published Date:  January 2010
Read Via Nook
Tags:  Zombies, Vampires, Young Adult, Paranormal Romance

First Line:  Watching a vampire make out with an idiot is kind of like going to the farmer's market and noticing just how many farmers have lost fingers in on-the job accidents.  Even though it's kind of disturbing, it's impossible to look away. 

Why the Mad Scientist Read this Book:  I admit that the Mad Scientist read this book because it looked like a fun fluffy read and I needed that type of book to fit my mood.

Concoction of a Review:

I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It is not a literary masterpiece or a Halloween masterpiece for that fact.  It is a fun, facetious take on the young adult genre.  Selzer takes teen trends, pop culture and the vampire craze that swept the nation as of late and twisted it together with irony and funny prose.  As a person who is intertwined with a different age, I do not see the cleverness behind the pop culture reference standing up to the test of time.

Algonquin, otherwise known as Alley or Ice Queen of the Vicious Circle, spends her days coming up with witty one liners and working on the high school newspaper (blog).  She is a very negative goose when it comes to courting and love.  The Ice Queen does not want to get emotionally tangled with anyone.  To temper the loneliness she uses and tosses poor boys aside.  *tsk tsk*  She also has the pessimistic side to life, everything will be better once I move out of this forsaken city.  *sigh*  These young wiper snappers do not realize that the grass is hardly greener elsewhere.

Her eyes open up and take a new brightness when she meets Doug, a goth who makes an appearance singing for the towns crappiest band, the Sorry Marios.  Ice Alley starts to melt along with her reputation, from the first note she hears come out of Doug's mouth.  Everything who she is becomes insignificant.  She soon becomes one of those doe eyed girls who changes their skeptical outlook a the sight of good man Zombie.  Now she needs to figure out about interspecies dating.  *Gasps*

There were a few parts where Alley was torn over the things she wanted in life and Doug.  I found it rather interesting to watch her make tough decision about her love life.  This book brought me back a few centuries to when I was young lady in waiting.  We did not have these types of problems to face but those are the days that shape us into the people we will become.

Ah, the ending.    *Holds hand to chest*  Ladies and Gentleman... the ending was a bit surprising.  Even though I was shocked,  Selzer did some great tinkering and wrapped up the story beautifully.  This book was a sweetly spun first love romance threaded with a number of paranormal allusions. 



3.1 Blasts
While being mildly fun, this was a quick book to read on a different Zombie spin.  Can Zombies fall in love?  Now that is the Question!


Quotes:

 "If you really like someone, it doesn't matter what their mouth feels or tastes like.  The kiss is still awesome." 

"I didn't think it was possible, but the guy is both a wiener and a dick."

"You're just jealous, Alley," says Marie.  "Can you honestly tell me that if some guy rose from the grave and spent a hundred lonely years looking for just the right person, then fell for you, you wouldn't think that was totally romantic?"  "I'd think he was a stalker," I say.


*Morbid Romantica Challenge!*
Add Your Zombie Review or Other Morbid Romantica Challenges 
to the Link Up!

5 comments:

  1. I would never ever come so close to a zombie to risk a kiss. Maybe it's only me. I think I will pass but your review was great - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that this book doesn't take itself too seriously and that the author was willing to take a risk and just have fun with a genre we know has been done to the point of overkill... The title, the cover pic-- you can't help but do a double-take and think, is this book for real?? I like that :)

    Thanks for this review, it sounds like a fun, light read, that if nothing else, can at least make you laugh :D

    Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I am a sucker for these fluffy books. I just read one with an equally silly title: Sleeping Beauty, Vampire Hunter and I loved it. Like I said, I'm a sucker

    ReplyDelete

Mad Scientist Listens

Check out my newest GIVEAWAY!! :)
6 Books Available!


Related Posts with Thumbnails