Monday, October 8, 2012

{ARC eBook Review} ---> The Hallowed Ones

The Hallowed Ones
By: Laura Bickle 
Published  By:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publish Date:  Sept 25th 2012
Pages: 320 softcover
Tags:  Young Adult, Dystopia, Fantasy Fiction, Paranormal, Vampires 
Source:  NetGalley

Concoction of a Review:


The Hallowed Ones was an amazing adventure unlike any normal tromp through the woods.

The Mad Scientist fully admits that friends of the bookish sort on GoodReads pressured her into wanting, No, needing to read this one.  An Amish book?  One might ask but I have one small short answer for you!  Undoubtedly!

Let me (us) examine the why's of why this book is highly recommended.

~If you want a book that you will be unable to put down... 
    This one will do that to you!
~If you want a book that will surely freak you out at a few points...
    This one will do that!
~If you want a book about a genre you thought possibly couldn't get any better.... 
     This book will do that for you too!
~If you want a book about the end of the world... 
     This one is without a doubt for you!

Now that we established a bit of a base to the this inky goodness I do believe I can continue forward.

I assure you that there are no vampires of the sparklely nature in The Hallowed Ones.  They will freak you out, I am sure of this.  As they did to myself, nearly ruffling the hairs on the back of my neck.  

Save a Tree – Read an e-book Button
e-Book Love!

The "Plain Folk" of the Amish sort are new to the Mad Scientist in book form.  I must say that I just adored the young heroine of this book.  I also adored the lengths that Laura Bickle took to describe the community.  Katie was simple, yet did not follow so blindly.  I do believe that one must ask questions.  The rebellious side of Katie has surprises a plenty that will shock even your frilly panties in between these covers.   Naughty Girl!

One of the bits that chill you to the bone... or at least the Mad Scientist's metal clockwork heart... being trapped.  Nothing like being a chicken in a coop waiting for the fox to grab the tail feathers.  The Amish were in a sense on lock down.  This choice made me think that this might be the end of them, however, I knew that they would not want it any other way.  Would the evil make it through or under their wooden fence?  *Shivers*  The results would stir even the gentlemanly of the gentlemen!

From the start, it is a bit slow.
From the end, the story is ripped apart.
Please do make sure your kindle or Nook is fully charged!


4.2 Blasts --->  Most Desirable



** Thanks to NetGalley & dear ones at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the ability to read & review this book which so ever did not influence or bend my thoughts in any manner.  All Mad thoughts are presented in the right mind of a twisted brain of the Mad Scientist!**


3 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this one today and I 110% agree! I loved The Hallowed Ones and it was refreshing to read something so original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even heard of this book, but wow does it sound good! I love the eerie cover... never thought about what the Amish would be doing in the event of a zombie (or vampire or otherwise) apocalypse until now. Will definitely be adding this one to my ever-expanding library sometime. Great review, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds amazing! I haven't read anything remotely like this before. I will definitely need to pick up a copy in the near future. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

Mad Scientist Listens

Check out my newest GIVEAWAY!! :)
6 Books Available!


Related Posts with Thumbnails